Monday, January 26, 2009

Teacher's Helper


Emaline, one of my Kindergarten students from last year, has been asking me for awhile if I needed any help with my students this year. She wanted to come in and help me teach them to read. :)

Her mom and I finally figured out an afternoon when Emaline could come into the classroom. Emaline and I had already discussed what she could do to help me teach the kids, so when she got into the classroom this afternoon we had the classroom all set up for her. :) She did a Phonics flashcard review with them.

Emaline making sure that she knows what flashcard she is showing the children!

We made it into a fun "Ball Toss" game. Emaline would show the flashcard, and if they pronounced the word correctly, they would have 4 tries to toss the ball into the bin.

Waiting anxiously to read the flashcard and toss their balls!

This would be a typical Emaline face :)...she was trying to remember which flashcard she had started with! It was so cute to watch her interact with the kiddos. She was trying sooo hard to be the mature "teacher". Shortly after she got started, they were having one of their wild, jumpy moments and I heard her say to them, "Stop being rambunctious!"...Only out of the mouth of Emaline :)

After the flashcard game was over, they all played a rousing game of "Don't Spill the Beans". Apparently, my kiddos got a little TOO noisy for Emaline to handle anymore, so she covered her ears and declared, "I wish I had brought my Hello Kitty earmuffs!"

They played with the Marble Run after the game was over.

Right before school was dismissed, I simply had to get a picture of the four of them together! I have officially had all 7 of my past and current students in my classroom this year. It's been a special treat to see them "intermingling"!

When the school year first began, I wasn't sure how I was going to adjust to a new set of students because I had had such a great time with my first 4 students! However, I have discovered that as a teacher you definitely adjust quickly, and, now, I can't imagine life without my 3 rambunctious kiddos!! :D

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Isn't Emaline cute? She cracks me up...and is very smart, too. I wonder who her teachers are?