Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year's Resolution


A couple of years ago, I was given a list with 31 names of God and a Bible verse to go along with each name. The idea is that every day during your devotions and prayer time, you meditate on that name of God for that day. I think that so often in the Christian life we get focused on me, me, me, and we forget who the Lord is and all that He has done for us! So this year I am resolving that each morning, I will meditate on a particular name of the Lord and praise Him for all He has done for me. I am posting this because I thought others might like to do the same, and it also will keep me accountable!

1. God the Creator
Nehemiah 9:6 - Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

2. The Only God
Isaiah 45:5 - I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though that hast not known me:

3. The Almighty God
Psalm 89:8 - O LORD God of hosts, who is a strong LORD like unto thee? or to thy faithfulness round about thee?

4. The Everlasting Father, the Ancient of Days
Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

5. A Loving God
I John 4:16 - And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

6. A God of Justice
Romans 3:23-24 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

7. A Faithful God
Deuteronomy 7:9 - Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations.

8. A Merciful God
Nehemiah 9:31 - Nevertheless for thy great mercies' sake thou didst not utterly consume them, nor forsake them; for thou art a gracious and merciful God.

9. God, My Rock and My Refuge
Psalm 62:7 - In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

10. A Patient, Persevering God
II Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

11. Eternal, Saving God
Jude 25 - To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

12. The Holy One
Revelation 4:8b - Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

13. A Personal God
Psalm 139: 1-2 - O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

14. A Giving God
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

15. A Provider God
II Corinthians 9:8 - And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

16. God, My Shepherd
Psalm 23:1-3 - The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

17. God, My Victory
II Corinthians 2:14 - Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

18. God, My Peace
Philippians 4:9 - Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

19. The God Who Heals
Exodus 15:26 - And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

20. The God of All Comfort
II Corinthians 1:3-4 - Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort: Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

21. The God of Miracles
Psalm 77:14 - Thou art the God that doest wonders: thou hast declared thy strength among the people.

22. A Forgiving God
I John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

23. The Burden Bearer
Psalm 55:22 - Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

24. A Faithful God
Lamentations 3:22-23 - It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

25. King of Kings and Lord of Lords
Revelation 17:14 - ...for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

26. God, My Liberator
Psalm 70:5 - But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.

27. The Lifter of My Head
Psalm 3:3 - But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

28. God of Light
Psalm 27:1 - The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Daniel 2:22 - He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.

29. God of Joy
Psalm 16:11 - Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

30. The God Who Answers Prayer
Jeremiah 33:3 - Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

31. The God of All the Earth
Isaiah 54:5 - For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

No comments: