Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year, everyone! I know its been said by many already, but I can't believe how fast 2008 flew by. Every New Year's Eve, my Dad pulls out the calendar of that year, and highlights the things that went on throughout the year with us before we head to bed. During the year, he tries to write down in a calendar something about each day or at least each week. It may not seem that significant at the time, but when you read it at the end of the year, you are like, Wow! I totally forgot that happened! Its pretty neat to just sit there and recall things that happened back in February or June - things you would have never remembered had you not written them down. We normally sit down as a family in the living room around 11:30 while my Dad highlights things from the calendar. We then talk a little bit about things that will happen during the coming year. I'll never forget sitting there in the living room on New Year's Eve, 2003, while we discussed what would happen in the new year. The year 2004 looked soooo overwhelming to me at that moment! My Dad was saying, "This year Becky will get her driver's license, graduate from high school, start a job, and then start college!" Talk about LOTS of changes in my life! However, here I am 5 years later, and I have survived many changes since then! :)

Last night, after we were done discussing what happened in 2008, and what might happen in 2009, we turned on the TV to watch the ball drop in Times Square as we do every year. It is such a bittersweet moment for me as the countdown begins. After thinking about all that has happened that year, I get a little sad as I think about saying good-bye - never to see that year again! Then, I get excited as I start anticipating all that will happen the coming year. So last night when the countdown began 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!, I had tears in my eyes - tears of sadness & tears of excitement! Can't wait to see all that the Lord has planned for my life this year! Although I may dislike change in my life, I know God has everything all under control and there is no need to worry about the future!!

No comments: