Monday, November 17, 2008

Thanksgiving in the Classroom


Where has November gone??!! Here I have been thinking that Thanksgiving is still a LONG ways off, and then I realized today after looking at lesson plans that it's next week already! So I decided that I better get some Thanksgiving decorations out! :) I have 3 chalkboards in my classroom. Obviously, I don't need all of them to be chalkboards, so I have converted two of them into a bulletin board of sorts. Here is the board in the back of the classroom...

The chalkboard in this next picture has the rules of the classroom on it. Also, please notice the pilgrim on the left side of the board. He is diligently searching for his Thanksgiving turkey. However, the turkey on the right side of the board is showing no sign of fear, because he knows that the pilgrim has no chance against its mighty feathers and claws! Yes, apparently turkeys were quite large back in the 1600's! :)

Today, we made a "Thanksgiving Tree." I used my "creative" skills and made a tree out of bulletin board paper. I had already cut out the leaves, so all the children had to do was write what they were thankful for on the leaves, and then place them wherever they wanted on the tree.

Here is a close-up of their leaves...they are obviously still learning how to size and space all their letters to fit, but that is what makes it so cute!

Here are the things they are thankful for:

God, Jesus, Bible, church, Pastor, my family, Mom and Dad, leaves, trees, nap :), Miss Follett (awwww), choo-choo trains, our classroom, the computer, Joshua, Abbi's birthday

Hmmmm...I wonder why someone was thankful for Abbi's birthday? It couldn't be the fact that she brought in cupcakes for all of us today, could it? :)

1 comment:

Alison said...

I thankful for Abbi's birthday too!