Friday, November 21, 2008

Out with the Old & In with the New


Since the beginning of the school year, the "choo-choo" train tracks have been the biggest hit in the classroom during play time. The children have loved connecting the wooden tracks, and letting the miniature Thomas the Tank Engines glide across the rails. However, there are only 2 Thomas the Tank Engines, and I have 3 children....and well, let's just say it has provided us with many opportunities to learn the value of taking turns! However, today I decided to do the unthinkable - put the choo-choo trains away in the closet! (*gasp*) But never fear...I pulled out something new to take its place - A Marble Run!!! I wasn't sure how it would go, but it was definitely a BIG success! And as you can see...there are plenty of pieces to go around, and a whole big bag of marbles to spare (and share)! :D




Abbi's marble run just kept on getting higher and higher! We were using the marble run bin as a support :)


Joshua catching the marble as it flies off his marble run.

Stephen's went from being this small...

...to this tall!!

The blue little chair came in handy for support as well :D


Today I helped them a lot with figuring out how to attach everything and to build it in such a way that it doesn't topple over (and the marbles can actually run through!), but I am sure that over the next few weeks, I will see their creative skills come alive with this activity!! :)



Oh, and yes, this marble run has a history. Andy and I received this as a Christmas present in 1993! Ummm...which would be 15 years ago when I was 8 years old! I just love the fact that the things which I enjoyed playing with when I was a child are now being enjoyed by my students! They are being put to good use that's for sure :D

So, my mom - being the great photo collector and album creator that she is - knew exactly where I could find the picture of me enjoying my new marble run with my Nannie. So here it is, folks...and yes, I was a "camera ham" when I was young :P (*cough* when I was young, mind you...I am perfectly mature in that area now! (hahaha!))

No comments: