Sunday, November 30, 2008

Great Expectations


I like when things go according to plan. I like having schedules. I like knowing every little detail about every thing. I do not like being caught off guard, or having my schedule rearranged. However, although I don't like it, it happens. Especially as a teacher, I have to learn to let go, and let things happen as they may. Activities may take longer than planned or not go as smoothly as planned, however, it doesn't mean that it is a total failure! I have to realize that. Life is not always going to go according to plan. In front of me right now is a "Rest Time" schedule. Each day after lunch, my kiddos lay out their mats & blankets and have about a 30 minute "rest time". During this time, they either listen to a Patch the Pirate tape or watch a short video. In front of me right now lays a schedule. For the rest of the year, I am supposed to figure out which Patch the Pirate tape is going to be listened to what day, and which video is going to be viewed what week. You know what? IT DOESN'T MATTER! I love schedules but sometimes (many times!) schedules don't love me. I see what is on the schedule, and if what is on the schedule doesn't get done, I get "a bit" perturbed. Sometimes I even get totally flustered, stressed out, and red in the face! (Any of you who have seen me in person know that this is true!) I mean, really. Who cares which Patch the Pirate tape they listen to which week? They really don't care if it is in the correct order anyway! So, you know what I am going to do with this "rest time" schedule that is just sitting here on my desk mocking me? I am going to throw it away!!..............THERE! Done!! I feel much better about the whole thing now. After all, I have a lot of other things to think about besides this minor detail. My desk is currently covered in Christmas decorations, and I know that tomorrow morning when I walk in my room and see the clutter and chaos on my desk, I am going to need a moment to just stop, take a breath, smile and dig in! So a rest time schedule is the least of my concerns right now!

Okay, I say all that to say this. The other week Pastor was preaching, and you know how sometimes you can be half-listening, half-zoning out and then all of a sudden, he says something and WHAM! you are all ears? Well, this is what Pastor said that caught my attention.

Give up your expectations and be happy with whatever you get!

That brief little statement really hit home with me. I have sooo many expectations for literally every little detail about my life. When things don't go according to plan, I tend to just fall apart. Last year at this time, I was having a really rough time with just thinking about the future and the "What ifs..." kept plaguing me till I was literally a wreck. However, this statement the other week was a real challenge to me. Of course, in life we have to have plans and have a general idea of what is going to happen. However, sometimes our expectations tend to be just WAY up there, instead of where they should be. God has my future all planned out for me. I just need to give up my own expectations of how I think my life should be, and just be happy and content with whatever the Lord brings in my life! And you know what? He has His own time table, schedule and plan for my life with the tiniest little details already worked out! So why should I worry???

P.S. We won't mention the fact that the main reason that I posted about this tonight was because today is the last day of November and I had an uneven amount of posts for this month. I just HAD to make it an even number. You know...
my ENO issue that I have? *Sigh* Am I the only one who deals with things like this???!!

1 comment:

Kay said...

Great Expectations- good book!