Thursday, October 30, 2008

Of Locked Doors and No Key


Because my Mom and Alayna were at a volleyball game this evening, my Dad, Andy, and I decided to go out to eat. After a scrumptious, healthy dinner of curly fries (yum!), a beef n' cheddar sandwich, and a Mountain Dew (yes, I was in need of caffeine after a stressful day!), we headed home. I was looking forward to just having a relaxing evening at home doing nothing. When we were about 2 minutes away from home, my Dad suddenly said, "Ummmm...does anyone have the key to the house?" Both Andy and I were like..uhhhhh..nooooo. See, I had debated about taking my purse along (which had the house key inside) but in the end I decided that it wasn't necessary to drag it along seeing we were only going out to eat and then back home. Well, my Dad only had the keys to the car, and Andy didn't have his keys either. So we pulled into our driveway, and just sat there and thought....now what??!! We had left the front porch light off because of trick or treaters coming around, so it was all dark and "spooky" around our house. Andy tried some windows, but obviously because of the cold weather we have been having, they were all locked. My grandparents have our house key, and their church is only 5 minutes down the road, so we decided to go there just to see if perhaps they were having choir practice or something tonight! Alas, they were not there, sooooo we went back home. If any of you have watched the movie "Enchanted" you are familiar with the song "So Close and Yet so Far". I started singing that as we again pulled into our driveway. My Dad suggested going to church so I could work on lesson plans or something, and I was like...NOOOO!! So our next option was walking around the South Mall, so that is what we did. It was a fun experience walking around and browsing through stores with my Dad and brother for an hour or so! :D As we were heading back to the car, I said...Wow, tonight's adventure would make a good blog entry! I just needed to think of a "spiritual application" to go along with it :-). We pulled in our driveway yet again, and just sat there for awhile. FINALLY, Mom and Alayna pulled in. We just sat in the car and watched them get out of the van, and eventually go into the house. I felt like a stalker just sitting there in the dark car watching them! Once they were in the house, we got out of the car and rang the doorbell. When they answered, we pretended to be trick or treaters much to their amusement. They had been a bit curious as to where we had been seeing how all the cars were there and no one was in the house! We soon discovered that Alayna's volleyball team had won the game, so in the end, I guess it was all worth it :D Hey, it was a fun night with just my Dad and bro. I don't get to have nights like this quite often! Soooo, anyway, I was just sitting here wondering what the "spiritual application" of tonight's adventure could be, and these were some of the verses that I thought of....

Matthew 7:7-8
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

These are different promises from God's Word about the "doors" in our life. In Matthew 7:7-8, we are the ones doing the knocking on the door. Many times, in life we have choices to make, and we need to seek God's face in order to discover what His will is for our life. How wonderful to know that the Lord promises that He will always open the door when we seek and knock. He wants us to know His will for our life, and He will never leave us high and dry with nowhere to go or no one to turn to! In Revelation 3:20, the Lord is the One doing the knocking. Sometimes we lock the Lord out of our life. We think we can handle life's situations on our own without the Lord's help or guidance. However, the Lord just patiently stands at the door and knocks, waiting for us to open up our heart's door so He can come in and have fellowship with us! So there you have it. There is a spiritual application from tonight's lil' adventure!! We have been given the key to God's promises, and there is no reason that we, as Christians, should ever be "locked out" from His presence and power in our lives.

No comments: