Friday, March 13, 2009

The Wonders of "Insta-Snow"


This week in Science, we have been learning about different kinds of weather. Today we were learning about snowy weather (which hopefully is all behind us now!). When I told them that we were going to go play in the snow afterwards, they were quite confused. At first they thought we were going to play with cotton balls and pretend it was snow. Then they thought we were going to play with the sock "snowballs" I had made awhile ago. Were we going to go outside and pretend that the grass was snow??? Hmmmm...

When I then brought out a little packet of white powder and told them that was our snow, they were like, "Huh???!!" I gave them each their own container and scooped some of the powder into each of them. They got to add the correct amount of water to the white powder and ta-da! - Instant snow!! The product is actually called Insta-snow, and it is so cool! I discovered it while working in day care. The kids there loved the feel of it, and my fellow teachers and I found it rather addicting as well :D It really feels like snow.

So in case you have no idea what Insta-Snow is all about...enjoy this video clip!



My kiddos had a blast with it this afternoon!

I did put plastic tablecloths on the floor because I knew there would be snow everywhere! However, another positive thing about this product is that it is rather easy to clean up and the vacuum picks it up quite nicely!

So when it is mid-July (if you live in the US!) and the temperature is reaching up to the 90's or so, and you just wish you could just go jump in some snow, rest assured that Insta-snow is available year round for your enjoyment!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Becky - I am also a teacher and love instant snow. I have used it in my water tables for the kids to use for sensory, in my weather units (obviously) and science. I also like to use the snow at Christmastime in candle holders and on my Christmas tree. I buy a big bag and it last me for a long time. I also found a different polymer called Water Gel. It is similar to snow and the kids love to touch it and play with it. I found it at Spangler Science (they also have the snow too!) http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1278