Monday, March 30, 2009

Elementary Honor Roll Lunch


Today most of the elementary students got to have a special lunch at Mrs. Lytle's house. This was their special treat for getting on the honor roll this past quarter. We had a delicious meal of hot dogs, homemade mac n' cheese, and chips.

For dessert, Mrs. Lytle made "dirt pudding." You know the kind...the chocolate pudding, cool whip, crushed-up Oreos and gummy worms. Well, she made it look really authentic by putting it in a flower pot with fake flowers sticking out of it. She had Mrs. Hammett and I act like it was a pretty centerpiece and then suddenly say, "Oh look...a worm!" and then pop the worm in our mouth. The whole idea was to completely shock and gross out the kids when we stuck them in our mouths. But alas, they were too smart for us and realized they weren't real worms. (I know it is shocking, but worms aren't exactly part of my diet!)

After the kids were thoroughly stuffed, we played a game of "Keep Spring Alive!" Basically, I had a list of spring-related words and I would put the right amount of blanks on the board for the children to guess letters to see if they could figure out what the word was....like Hang-Man. However, I changed it a bit and drew a flower on the board instead. Each time they guessed a wrong letter or word, I would erase part of the flower. If the flower was ever completely erased, that meant that spring was gone! (and how tragic that would be!) Thankfully, that only happened once or twice, so spring is still alive. :D


We had lots of fun!! My group of kids were soooooo hyper on the way back to school though. I guess we fed them too much sugar :)...of course there had to be road work and traffic which prolonged the trip even more! *Sigh* Oh well, I survived!

It is officially spring break, so now it's my turn to be hyper and shout YIPPEE!!

3 comments:

Kay said...

when I went to EBA we never got spring break... lol. I like the dirt idea with the flower in it!

Becky said...

Ha...I know :) The reason we have had spring break these past couple of years is because of the Illinois competition which is a week long. Since that involves most of the high school and Mr. Anger as well, everyone gets to benefit by not having school :)We have a shorter Easter break then with just Good Friday off.

Anonymous said...

hey Becky! Hudson told us that he had the most awesome,wonderful time there!...he said the best part was the ride in the car! lol (isn't that just like a kid though?!)haha Looks like they had a great lunch...thanks for posting the pictures too!!