Thursday, March 26, 2009

Surrendering and Winning


I often find it amazing how you can be dealing with a certain situation, and something you read in your devotions is exactly what you needed to read that morning.

This excerpt is from the devotional book God is Enough by Hannah Whitall Smith...

What are the chief characteristics of the life hid with Christ in God, and how does it differ from much in the ordinary Christian experience?

Its chief characteristics are an entire surrender to the Lord and a perfect trust in Him, resulting in victory over sin and inward rest of soul. It differs from the lower range of Christian experience in that it causes us to let the Lord carry our burdens and manage our affairs for us, instead of trying to do it ourselves.

In laying off your burdens, therefore, the first one you must get rid of is yourself. You must hand yourself, with your temptations, temperament, circumstances, feelings, and all your inward and outward experiences, into the care of your God, and leave it all there. He made you, and therefore He understands you and knows how to manage you; and you must trust Him to do it.

Say to Him, "Here, Lord, I abandon myself to You. I have tried in every way I could think of to manage myself and to make myself what I know I ought to be, but have always failed. Now I give it up to You. Take entire possession of me. Work in me all the good pleasure of Your will, according to Your promise, and make me into a vessel for Your own honor, 'sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work'" (2 Tim. 2:21).

Here you must rest, trusting yourself to Him, continually and absolutely.

No comments: