Sunday, December 7, 2008

Of Cameras, Smiles, and Cheese Fishies


Today, during Sunday School, I was trying to take pictures of all my 2 & 3 year olds for a special craft we will be doing for Christmas. Some had no problem standing against the wall and saying "Cheese!" so I could snap their picture. Others were a bit more intimidated and shy, and some informed me that they couldn't find their smile. When it was snack time, the children excitedly anticipated receiving a handful of "cheese fishies" that were going to "swim in their bellies." Normally, I just give them one handful seeing how they will be getting another snack during church. However, after I put the fishies safely back in their cabinet, I heard one of the children ask for some more fishies. This child happened to be one who had apparently "lost" their smile. My assistant told him that maybe his teacher would give him some more fishies IF he smiled for the camera. What a genius plan!! I decided to give it a try with all the children, and TA DA! Amazingly enough, smiles came out of hiding and were plastered on all the children's faces immediately! No one can resist the taste of cheese fishies, especially the fun part of biting off all their tails. :) I couldn't be quick enough with the camera to capture all the smiles!

In light of all that, I learned a valuable lesson today. One that will come in handy for many years to come, I am sure:

The way to a child's smile is through their stomach.


If you want to see the pictures of my cute little smiling children, you can view them here.

No comments: