Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Cookie Decorating


Today was my last day of Kindergarten before Christmas break. I wanted to do some special "Christmasy" things with my kiddos, so this afternoon we decorated sugar cookies. I "cheated" and used a sugar cookie mix where all you had to add was a stick of butter and 1 egg, but hey, its made life a lot easier! So, after we watched a short Christmas movie, we headed down to the kitchen to make our sugar cookies. I had actually already mixed the batter myself to prevent extra messes and to save time, so we went right to the rolling-out stage.

They each got to have a large gingerbread man/woman cookie cutter for their first cookie cut-out, and then they got to pick 3 other Christmas shapes.

The cookies are shaped & ready to enter the oven!

While we waited for the cookies to bake and then cool, the children worked on some Christmas art projects.


The boys cut out and glued together a Christmas wreath.


Abbi glued more brown felt pieces to the "roof" of her manger scene (my old shoe box :)).


What the manger scene looks like when complete :)


Playing a Christmas matching game


Finally, to everyone's delight, the cookies were cooled off enough and ready to be decorated!


The end results were quite interesting! Yes, this teacher was once again guilty of "sugaring up" her kiddos! :) However, I told them that they had to wait to eat the cookies until they got home...I am sure the parents GREATLY appreciated that. ;)

No comments: