Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More Camp Highlights


Yeah, I promised that I would give other details about camp later, so here it goes. :) I could probably write a whole book about it...but I won't! As I sit here thinking about all that happened last week at camp, I can't believe that a week ago at this time we were getting ready to hear some preaching. Time sure flies by quickly!

Like I said previously, it was my first time going as a counsellor. Also, its been years since I have gone to a summer camp - period - so lots of things have changed since then! I went to this camp with some fears because I wasn't sure what all was going to be required of me. See, I don't like stepping out into the "unknown" so this was a bit out of my comfort zone! Both my brother and sister had great delight in telling me all the "camp horror stories" so, of course, my imagination was swirling! :)

However, I soon got in the swing of things, and ended up having a blast! There were definitely a few stressful moments, especially trying to think up team cheers, figuring out our skit, and dealing with mice in the cabin, but altogether I had a great time.

One of the highlights of the week for me was going canoeing for the first time on the beautiful lake. On Thursday, after the skits were over, we were given a few hours of free time, and so Rachel and I canoed around the lake for awhile. It was sooooooo relaxing! I was worried about the whole steering thing, but it didn't take me too long to figure it out. Thankfully, we didn't capsize or anything :) I am DEFINITELY up for another canoeing experience!!

Another highlight of the week was going on the zip line. Yes, this is shocking even for me, but it really was fun! I had gone to camp determined NOT to go on the zip line because I had fallen off one before. However, the girls on my team coaxed me into it. I went up the tower steps with rather shaky legs, and leaning into the harness as I dangled over the lake - putting my trust in what felt like a piece of string to hold my weight - was indeed a heart-thumping experience! However, once I pushed off, and zipped on down across the lake with the wind in my face, all my fears went away. It was such a neat experience! Thankfully, the landing wasn't too painful this time. :)

So altogether, I had a great week being a counsellor. I got to know some of the teen girls from my church better, and even made some new friends from the other churches.

Here are some pictures that I took during the week. If you have me as a friend on facebook, I would suggest looking at them over there because they are more fun to view with captions. :) If not, well, have fun viewing this slide show!

No comments: