Saturday, June 27, 2009

Brain on Overload


As the school year was coming to a close, the realization started to hit me - There were no potential Kindergarten students for next school year. At first, I though, Okay, good..that means I can help out in the Elementary classes more and continue being my 7 Kindergarten graduates' teacher. This was sounding like a good plan to me!! Then it was brought to my attention....what if they say, because there is no Kindergarten, I really wasn't needed full-time at the school??!! That thought frightened me a bit...NOW what was I going to do?

Around this time I was getting a bit discouraged. Now, don't get me wrong - I LOVE children, I LOVE being around children, I LOVE teaching children - but I was starting to feel like I was around children 24/7 and never got to be around adults my own age. I was always with kids!! (Yes, I know....all you mothers are just smiling and thinking...just you wait!!!) But I really was ready to do something new, spread my wings a little, learn a new profession. However, I didn't know what that new profession was going to be!

A couple of days after these contemplations, an opportunity basically just fell in my lap. My friend, Sarah, was heading off to college in the fall, and needed someone to take over her accounting position at a small contracting business. Would I be interested in working part-time there? I have taken an accounting course both in high school and in college, and so I am *slightly* familar with how things are done in the Accounting world. With my love for numbers, even-ness, balancing, organizing... accounting has definite possiblilties for being "my thing." :) So, of course, I leaped at the opportunity! This seemed to be the answer to my "unspoken prayer" of stepping out and learning something new.

Shortly, after this opportunity was presented to me, yet another one was brought to my attention. Sarah is also the Accountant at Challenge Press/Book Heaven (our church's book publishing company and bookstore). Would I be interested in taking over her position?

Wow.

So I went from being a Kindergarten teacher to an Accountant/Secretary-in-training practically overnight!

This past week I was introduced to some of the things that are involved in these two accounting jobs. Talk about a brain being on overload!!! Sarah is doing a GREAT job training me in all the different areas, and is always extremely patient when I have those *clueless* moments! However, there is soooooo much to take in! Obviously, my mind hasn't been centered around all the things I learned in Accounting 4 or 5 years ago, so I have had to dig deep in the recesses of my mind to remember what Accounting is all about!

I just have to keep saying...One thing at a time, one thing at a time, one thing at a time! Thankfully, I still have the whole month of July and August to be "in-training" for all this.

Once I was done with my Accounting course in college, I tried so hard to get cash back for my textbook. However, they weren't taking this edition back....hmmmmmmm. I actually pulled it out this week and started looking through it again...refreshing my memory of all those Accounting terms..aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! :P


My brain has been on overload all week long.

However, do you know what the BEST thing is for an overloaded brain?????

One of these babies.....

I've had two this week.

They are great! :)

2 comments:

Kay said...

This post makes me miss Duncan Donuts.... ahhhh coolatta!

Congrats on Accounting!

Jackie said...

Welcome to BHCP