Monday, April 20, 2009

Science in the Classroom


In Science class, we are learning about seeds. So today my kiddos and I planted some flower seeds. They each got to dump potting soil into the pot, and then pour their own packet of seeds on top before I added another thin layer of potting soil. I am *crossing my fingers* and hoping some type of plant will grow! It could be a weed for all I care, just as long as SOMETHING grows. I am not exactly a "green thumb" type of girl!

The kiddos were excited about planting flowers, but they were a little concerned that there was no sun today. After all, we had just learned that seeds need the sun, water, and soil to grow into healthy plants. One of them suggested that we could shine a light on them instead, but I assured them all that the sun will come out eventually! :)






Hurry up, sun! Help those plants grow!

Our caterpillars had a busy weekend.....

This is a picture I took of them on Friday. They were still crawling about, but I could tell that they would be entering the next stage soon as they were starting to climb to the top.

On Sunday I took a peek and discovered that 4 of them were hanging from the ceiling of the container and 1 of the 4 had already formed a cocoon.

This morning, another one had formed a cocoon, and by this afternoon, all 4 of the ones that had been hanging were in cocoons. I just have one caterpillar left now....such a slowpoke he is! One of the cocoons actually fell later today from its hanging position and is now laying in the pile of food on the floor of the container. I was told that this might happen, so I am not too worried.


Our ladybugs continue to grow and shed their layers all around the Ladybug Land. I was able to look through the magnifying glass on the top with my camera and snap an up-close shot of two of the ladybug larvae. It still amazes me that these creepy crawlies are going to turn into such pretty ladybugs!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Abbi was very excited to plant flowers today.