Sunday, February 1, 2009

Singleness of Heart


I know I just posted about the movie, Fireproof, but its been on my mind a lot so I've got to share more! We got it last Wednesday, and I watched it late into the night by myself. I was laughing, crying, happy, sad, frustrated, tense...basically feeling every emotion possible throughout the whole thing! On Friday night, we had a family movie night and watched it together as a family.

The following clip is definitely one of the best scenes in the movie. Caleb is frustrated because no matter what he seems to be doing to try to save his marriage, it doesn't seem to be working. His father comes to talk to him, and Caleb ends up coming to Christ....


This scene just really made me think about my own relationship with God. I had heard messages about comparing the relationship between a husband and wife with our relationship with God, but for some reason this scene in the movie made it "click" for me. It just really put a new perspective on how I treat God. Caleb really struggled with how his wife was rejecting everything he was trying to do for her. However, that is exactly what he had been doing to God. How many times have I rejected the God Who loves me unconditionally and have put other "lovers" before Him? Every girl dreams of getting married one day to their "Prince Charming" and living happily ever after. However, marriage is much more than a lovey-dovey feeling, just like the Christian life is much more than this overwhelming happy feeling. It is a daily choice to love God and put Him first, just like it is a daily choice to love your husband or wife.

A couple of weeks ago when I was organizing all my papers in my room, I came across this letter I had saved. I had found it the one day on Christian website, and had rewritten it, personalizing it by inserting my name where it said "my child". It is a letter written to the single girl (or guy!) from the Lord and it is such an encouragement!

My dear Becky,

Everyone longs to give themselves completely to someone; to have a deep, soul relationship with another person; to be loved thoroughly and exclusively. Becky, I know the desires of your heart, and they are not wrong. But I want you to know that until you can be fulfilled in life being loved by Me alone, and until you discover that only in Me will you find complete satisfaction, you will not be capable of the perfect human relationship I have planned for you. There is a perfect love that I have planned for you, but you will never be united with another until you are united with Me. I have a plan for your life, a plan so wonderful, even you can't imagine it. I want you to have the best, but you must let Me bring it to you. Stop planning. Stop wishing. And just allow me to show you My plan. Keep watching expectantly, and keep walking in My love, experiencing the satisfaction found only in Me. Be patient and listen to the things I tell you. Learn to be strong in your love for Me, so that when others fail you, you will not be destroyed. Don't be envious of the things I have given to others. Keep your eyes on Me, or you'll be misled and miss the things I want to show you. Then when the right moment comes, I'll surprise you with a love far more wonderful than you could have ever imagined. You see, I am working so that the two of you are ready at the same time, when both of you are satisfied exclusively with Me, then you will be able to experience the kind of caring, accepting, forgiving love that exemplifies My love for you. This is perfect love! My dear Becky, I want so much for you to experience this most wonderful love, even now. And one day you will see in the flesh a picture of my love for you. One day you will enjoy the everlasting beauty of unconditional love with another.

~The True Lover of Your Soul~

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow - that was good! I've never seen that before...it doesn't happen to be in the library does it?

Becky said...

It was actually just released last week on DVD so it is rather new :) It is an excellent movie! I am sure it will be added to the library in the near future...did you ever watch Facing the Giants? Both movies are made by the same church. I am sure we will be letting people borrow Fireproof eventually (once we have seen it like 10 more times!) So I could always put you on "the list" if you want :D

Rachel said...

Great minds think alike :) I blogged about the movie and then wondered onto your site to see you did too! We bought the movie too! It was just that good!!! I liked that part in the movie too! It was a great reminder about my relationship with the Lord and keeping a sweet walk with him! Good post Becky!

Rachel said...

Oh and I cried, sat on the edge of my seat, laughed (especially at Mr and Mrs. Rudolph)and much more!