Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Growing Up with Patch the Pirate


Patch the Pirate adventures are indeed part of my childhood. Every Christmas, my brother, sister and I knew that we would be getting the newest Patch the Pirate adventure tape as a present. We would then listen to it together as a family on our way to Grandma's house. It was tradition! As we have all gotten older, however, that "tradition" has officially been broken.

I have discovered that one of the privileges of being a Kindergarten teacher is that I get to enjoy Patch the Pirate all over again with my kiddos! Who says I am too old for Patch?! Twice a week, during rest time, my kiddos lay *quietly* on their mats and we listen to one of Patch the Pirate's adventures. Its exciting to see how these stories are affecting the next generation for Christ!

Today, we were listening to Down Under and that has always been one of my favorites. It is neat to go back and listen to them with "adult ears". There are some really great truths taught within these stories! Also, I am noticing all the little puns and jokes that I never really noticed when I was younger.

I was privileged to actually see Ron Hamilton (Patch) in person this summer during a Majesty Music conference. It was like meeting my childhood hero!!

One of the songs Ron Hamilton is best known for is "Rejoice in the Lord". I have heard this song countless times throughout my life, but the message of the song is so powerful. He wrote this song after a huge tragedy happened in his life. If you never heard how Ron Hamilton got the name Patch the Pirate, you can read his testimony here.

One day I was browsing through good ole' YouTube and I actually found a clip of Ron Hamilton singing the song!! I was so happy. Enjoy! :D



No comments: