Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cultural Awareness


On Friday, we officially completed our Social Studies curriculum for the school year!! We have learned a lot about how our country got started, and the important individuals in our country's history. I'll never forget how excited they all got when we learned about the American flag and the Statue of Liberty! I heard about that for quite some time, and I know parents did as well! :D

When we finished learning about the history of our country, we moved on to learning about children around the world. I had already done this curriculum last year with my students, but this year I seemed to learn a whole lot more. My kiddos LOVED learning about different countries and perhaps it was their questions and interest that helped me become more aware of what I was teaching them!

On the first page of our book was the map of the world, highlighting each country we were going to learn about. Nearly every class, they would take turns pointing to the different countries and telling me the name of the country and which child lived there.

The curriculum was laid out like a field trip of sorts. Sometimes, I had to remind them this was just for PRETEND, we were not actually going to go on a field trip to that country! We would be introduced to a child from that country, and that child would then give us a "tour". In our large picture book, we would get to see important landmarks, animals, and places in that particular country.

This past Friday as we finished up the curriculum, we reviewed what we had learned about each country. I was pleased to see how much they had all remembered!

We have learned about 10 countries in all. Let's see if I can remember what the children's names were that lived in each country....

Mexico - Pedro
Peru - Rosa
England - Edward
The Netherlands - Hans and Katrinka
Italy - Tony
Israel - Sara
Kenya - Johmo
China - Yushu
Japan - Miako
Australia - Albert

My kiddos learned a lot about these children. When we "visited" their country, they told us about the different customs they have, what they like to eat, and what games they like to play. I think it really gave my kiddos a "cultural awareness."

At the end of the curriculum, however, it brings it all back to the main thought: Although we are all different - our skin color, food selections, clothing styles, etc. - Jesus loves all of us the same. As a "closer" to our Social Studies class, we sang "Jesus Loves the Little Children" together. It was a special time! :) We were all a little sad to say good-bye to Social Studies, but I think the excitement to move on to Science officially outweighs the sadness of leaving Social Studies behind!

Speaking of cultural awareness though...tonight the singles at my church had an "International Progressive Dinner". We went to 4 different homes and had Asian, Hungarian, South American, European, and I am not sure what other types of food! It was definitely a STRETCHING night for me - an out-of-my-comfort-zone experience! I am not one to try new things, especially when it comes to food. Give me something I recognize, that I have already labeled as "yummy", and I will be fine! Give me something with a strange name and looks kinda on the strange side, and I am rather hesitant to try it.

However, tonight I did my best, and for the most part I actually liked the food that I put on my plate. Some was a bit spicy, and tasted...well...different...but altogether not bad. :D I am not sure I am ready to go live in China or Hungary quite yet and have this type of cuisine every single day, but I am getting there. Baby steps, baby steps...I've been told I need to "branch out" and try new things!

Although I must say, it was soooo nice to end the night with good ole' fashioned apple pie & ice cream! :D

No comments: