Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Am I Dreaming?


Dreams. They simply baffle my mind. Where do they come from? How in the world does our mind twist and turn in such a way that we can create such weird stories in our sleep? I know there has been lots of studies on it, but I don't think anyone has really figured out the mystery dreams hold.

Do you ever find yourself waking up in the morning, and literally breathing a sigh of relief because you realized that you were dreaming?

Or on the flip side, have you ever awakened in the morning with a feeling of great anticipation, only to realize...it was only a dream?

Sometimes, I have a hard time remembering what is real and what I actually dreamed about! Especially when it is about people in my life. Did that situation REALLY happen or did I dream it? Sometimes, my dreams are very close to reality and it takes me a minute or two to process whether or not it actually happened.

Does this only happen to me?

Anyway, this morning, I was having a dream. It was one of those weird dreams that involved a close friend (I won't say who cause it might scare them!) and at one point I had this object in my hand that was making this horrible beeping noise. I wasn't sure if it was a bomb or what it was. All I knew is that I wanted to get that horrible beeping noise to STOP! I can still visualize this weird object. It had all sorts of gadgets on it, but no matter what button I pressed, or how many times I threw this object on the ground, it would not stop beeping!

Next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes with a start. Here my alarm clock had been beeping for 6 minutes already! By this point, the beeping was REALLY loud (the sound increases each minute I think). I quickly reached over and turned the thing off. I have never slept through my alarm clock for that long! Normally, it makes one beeping sound and I subconsciously reach over and turn it off (whether I am awake or not!). This is often a bad thing, resulting in sleeping in too late. I have now gotten to the point of using 2 alarm clocks. One by my bed, and the other one (my cell phone) halfway across the room. This forces me to get up OUT of bed in order to turn it off. But anyway, I digress...back to the main point...whatever it may be...

I just found this very interesting how the weird beeping object in my dream was, in reality, my annoying beeping alarm clock!

There is another thing I ponder about dreams. Do you ever wonder what you look like when you are dreaming? I mean, in dreams you are walking, talking...and doing who knows what! Does your body and mouth actually move when you are dreaming about something? I know people talk and walk in their sleep, so I wonder if it is all related to what they are dreaming about? Hmmmm....

I had forgotten about this morning episode until now when I was chatting with my parents about it. My mind immediately leaped to...I have to write a blog entry about this! (I guess I was just getting desperate :))

So anyway, if you have any weird experiences with dreams, or perhaps some "inside info" about dreams, I'd love to hear about it! :D

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

I've had a beeping something or other in my dreams before and it was the alarm clock. I think I was dreaming that it was the phone ringing and I couldn't get to it (oh the horrors!). A few weeks ago I woke up with the "dreadful dream"...in my dream I saw my wallet with every last credit card/license/business card etc removed from it/stolen. (Why would anyone take the time to remove every card and not just steal the whole thing?) But the dream felt so real, I had to shake myself or check my purse before I could fall back asleep. So bizarre. And this was before my sister had her CC stole.