Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Faith Book


Recently I subscribed to Proverbs 31 Ministries' Daily Devotions. Some of the devotionals are geared more towards mothers/wives, but there have definitely been many that are just the sort of encouragement I need for a particular day. I found today's devotion to be quite convicting and I thought I would share it.

*Please Note: The author used other versions of the Bible, so I changed them all to KJV. That is the only thing I altered in her article.*

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"And they stood up in their place, and read in the book of the law of the LORD their God one fourth part of the day; and another fourth part they confessed, and worshipped the LORD their God." Nehemiah 9:3

A new addiction slipped into my life recently - Facebook. Internet social networking slid in quietly and unobtrusively. Each day I found myself reading and posting a bit more. I learned how to create my visual bookshelf, so my "friends" could check out what I was reading. I linked my blog. My time seeped into Facebook like grains of sand slide through the hourglass.

My addiction soon took a turn for the worst. I began to put off my personal quiet time with God until after I had Facebooked. Sadly, scripture seemed boring next to my friends' postings. Strangely, the mundane posts intrigued me. I had fallen under the spell of social networking.

Then one day, I dragged myself away from my laptop. I had Bible study that night and needed to finish my lesson. The lesson pointed us to the book of Nehemiah. I read, "And they stood up in their place, and read in the book of the law of the LORD their God one fourth part of the day; and another fourth part they confessed, and worshipped the LORD their God." (Nehemiah 9:3)

Yikes! They read God's Word for a quarter of the day, then spent another quarter of the day in confession and worshiping? These words haunted me the rest of the afternoon. When was the last time I spent that much time with God? How much time did I spend on the Internet? I felt a deep conviction about my Facebook addiction.

I determined that day to read my Bible, my FaithBook, before I turned on my computer each day. I would network with God, before networking with my friends. When I made this decision, I saw scripture jump back to life. God's Word spoke to me with a freshness that seemed as if He had just posted it Himself.

The addiction stopped. Oh, I still enjoy Facebook and other social networks, but I have learned to keep them in proper perspective. Psalm 119:59-60 sums up my new intent: "I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies. I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments."

Will you join me in the commitment to spending time in God's Word before time spent on Facebook?

Dear Lord, I recognize that I spend too much time on the computer. Forgive my inattention to Your Word. Help me each day to place You first in my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Application Steps:

Today, take notice of how much time you spend on the computer for personal enjoyment. Decide to make your quiet time with God a priority. Read Psalm 119 and then ponder the benefits of time spent in God's Word.

Reflections:

Do I put off my quiet time with God in lieu of "social networking?"

Am I willing to commit more time to reading the Bible?

How can I begin to keep my life in a healthy balance?

Power Verses:

Exodus 24:7, "And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.'"

Romans 10:17, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Joshua 1:8, "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success."

Written by: Susanne Scheppmann

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Although it was geared mainly towards being addicted to Facebook, it could also apply to reading and/or writing blogs! So if you haven't read your Bible yet today and spent some quiet time with God, get off your computer right now and get to it!

There is my little sermon for today.

And all God's people said, "Amen!"

Believe me, I am preaching to myself!! :)

No comments: