Monday, November 23, 2009

What's Wrong with this Picture?


Before I begin this post, allow me to insert an excerpt from yesterday's blog entry:

Tomorrow, Sleepy's is delivering my new mattress!! They should have fun transporting it down our steep basement steps....hahaha! I am sure they have had to maneuver around many different obstacles throughout the years, so it shouldn't be that much of a challenge for them. (hopefully!)


*
Sigh*

Now please view the following picture. Do you see anything missing???



You see that big empty spot? Yeah, that's not supposed to be there anymore! There is supposed to be a brand new mattress & box spring filling up that area waiting to be slept on tonight.

I got a call on my cellphone today while at work. It was Mom informing me that the delivery guys could NOT get my box spring mattress down the steps. We were probably going to have to order a whole new mattress, because we needed a split box spring to fit down the steps. Of course, the mattress I had chosen did not have a split box spring option.

*Sigh*

Well, that put a slight damper on my day. You don't know how much I was looking forward to sleeping on that new mattress tonight!

When my Mom called my Dad, he asked if they had tried removing the railing, or at least tried to put the mattress through the opening between the railing and the steps. Nope...they hadn't tried that. Why would they? That would have been thinking "outside the box"!

Sooooo Mom and I went back to the mattress store. I was not a very happy camper, I must say, because I just KNEW that these delivery guys had been slackers, and could care less if the bed got down the steps or not. The guy at the mattress store was really nice and showed us two beds that had a split boxspring mattress. I sat on both of them, but just didn't "connect" with them (mostly because they were over $100 more than what we had spent on the other mattress!). It turned out that the split box spring mattress would be over $100 more as well, plus take another 2 weeks to get shipped in because it was a special order. I DON'T THINK SO! The guy was very understanding when Mom and I told him that we were determined to get that other mattress down the steps. He jokingly suggested a bulldozer to remove some of our walls. ;-) Where there is a will, there is a way!!

After dinner tonight, Dad and Andy were determined to see if a full-sized box spring could get down the steps or not. They took the box spring from my parents' bed, which is the same size as the one I am getting. It took them just a few minutes to slightly turn the mattress, and pull it through the opening between the railing and the steps.

Arrrggggh!!!

My Dad was like, "They couldn't do this???!!!" I mean, really. How hard would it have been to just turn the mattress slightly to fit it through the opening? Nope, they had to get it to turn the corner at the bottom of the steps, and if that didn't work...oh well!! Like I said, they weren't thinking "outside the box".

See that opening between the railing and the steps? That full-sized box spring mattress fit just perfectly through there.



Such is life! I guess the Lord just wants to teach me patience yet again. :) What's a few more nights sleeping in my old bed? After all, I have done it for years! :P

The next mattress delivery date is for this Wednesday. The guys had taken both the mattresses back again in case we would need to cancel the order. All I can say is that they better not charge us extra shipping!

Nothing is every simple, is it?!

No comments: