Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A "Free Sample"?


Last night my Aunt Cheryl and I went out to dinner and then to the mall to shop. Now, you must understand this about me. I wouldn't necessarily put shopping on my "Top 10 Favorite-Things-To-Do" list. Sometimes I am in the mood...sometimes I am not. Last night I was in the mood because, first of all, I was having a fun time with my aunt, and secondly, I had gift cards which ALWAYS help! :) We were walking through the mall, and I had a particular store in mind where I wanted to just quickly browse through to see if they had any good deals. As we were heading to the store, a girl came alongside me with a basket of hand lotion samples. She asked me, "Would you like a free sample?" Well, of course, hearing the word FREE always makes my ears perk up, so like the gullible person I am, I innocently reached for one. As soon as I reached out my hand to get a sample, I knew that I had walked right into a trap. The girl gasped, "Oh my! Are those your real nails?!!!" I was like...ummm....yeah... She then said, "You have such nice nails! Could you hold out your hand so I could see them again?"

*Sigh*

15 minutes later...

Why am I so gullible??? I guess these sales people catch my eye, and being the polite individual that I am (smile), I don't have the guts to ignore them and walk away.

Would you believe this is the THIRD time these people have caught me?!

The first time, the guy literally grabbed my hand as I was walking by, and by the time I had recovered from my initial shock, it was too late.

Last year, I must admit, when the girl caught my eye and lured me into her "sales pitch trap", I didn't give much resistance, because - to be truthful - it really is a cool product, and it does amazing things to your nails. So yes, I was guilty of giving in to the sales pitch.

However, last night, I was seriously perturbed at myself and was determined NOT to give in no matter what she said. I told the girl that I already had the product, but she even had an answer for that - Oh, this is new and improved since last year!

*Sigh*

She kept lowering the price, and telling me to "zip it" - to not tell a single soul about the amazing deal she was giving me. I just gritted my teeth, and tried to be my sweet self, all the while getting more and more red in the face. You see, I had a destination in mind, and she was keeping me from it!!!

Thankfully, I finally said (for the umpteenth time), "No, I'm sorry, I can't buy it." (or something like that, in more mumbled tones) and walked away, ignoring her sad puppy dog eyes.

I realize she was just doing her job, and she had to find sneaky ways to lure people over to her booth, or she would never make a sale! I just hated to be her "victim" last night!

*Insert Spiritual Application*

Isn't that exactly how the devil works though in our lives? He lures us over with empty promises and vain things, hoping to get us caught in his trap. All the while, as he is whispering sweet nothings in our ear, we are being kept from our destination - serving the Lord and bringing Him glory with our lives! So here's a piece of advice...

Don't give in to the devil's sale's pitch the next time you hear him enticingly say, "Would you like a free sample?!" or whatever else he may say that he knows will lure you into his trap!

(Please realize I do not mean to compare that sales girl to the devil!! She was a really sweet girl, but I was just not in the mood to be dealing with her sales pitch last night. I thought of the spiritual application this morning and thought I'd blog about it!)

No comments: