Thursday, September 3, 2009

Reach for the Clouds!


In my 2's and 3's Sunday School class, I like to have "role call" time where I call a child's name, and they will raise their hand calling, "Here!"

However, you know how it is...one child starts something, and they all have to follow. One of the first weeks I started doing "role call", one child decided to cover their eyes when I called their name instead of raising their hand. Apparently at this age, they think that because they can't see me, I can't see them...haha!

After awhile it got to the point where every.single.child was covering their eyes instead of raising their hand. A child would then yank on their friend's arm to get them to raise their hand, and seeing how I didn't want to really encourage arm pulling, I knew I had to come up with a Plan B.

About a month or so ago, I finally came up with Plan B. Instead of telling the children to raise their hand when I called their name, I would tell them to "Reach for the clouds!!" This seemed to inspire them to raise not only one, but BOTH hands, stretching up as far as their short, little arms could reach! Since then, to provide some variety, we have also reached for the stars, birds, trees and last week it was even "Reach for the cats and dogs!" (apparently they were either climbing a tree or flying in the sky...never did figure that one out!)

Anywho...there is a point to all this :)

This morning in my devotions, I read this verse:

"Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds." - Psalm 36:5

Immediately, this made me think of my Sunday School kiddos holding up their short little arms, straining themselves in the futile effort of reaching for the clouds. They may groan, moan, and strain all they want, but they will never truly succeed in reaching the clouds.

However, my Lord is SO faithful and SO merciful that we can't even dream of reaching the heights to where His faithfulness and mercy can take us.

I also read this verse this morning:

"O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" - Romans 11:33

So many times I find myself limiting my Savior. I stretch my arms up as high as I can reach in a futile attempt to "reach for the clouds", and think that is as far as the Lord can reach as well. However, His judgments and ways are unsearchable and past finding out! His faithfulness reaches unto the clouds. How dare I think that God can't handle any situation that arises in my life?! He is GOD! He has made this entire universe, and there are NO limits as to where He can go, and what He can do! All He asks of me is that I stop trying to accomplish things on my own (like reaching for the clouds!), and ask for His help and strength. His grace is sufficient for me, for His strength is made perfect in my weakness.

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

Everytime I pull Gracie's dress up over her head she says, "Reach for the clouds!! Miss Follett taught me that!" Now I know where it came from. :) Great thoughts, Becky!