Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Backyard Family Fun


Yesterday for Labor Day, we had my grandparents and my aunt over for a picnic. My great uncle and aunt showed up as well, which was a surprise to us because they are from Maryland.

Instead of just sitting on the porch and chit-chatting, we wanted to play some "backyard picnic"games.

Alas, we couldn't locate a badmitton net, but our clothesline did its best to substitute...



No picnic of ours would be complete without a couple of beanbag tournaments.

Here is a picture of my lil' sis and I as we are practicing "loving our enemies" during the first tournament :)...we are such good fakers!



My Pop-Pop even played bean bags yesterday. My Nannie did too, later on, and she and Andy won...which made her rather happy. :)



After playing badmitton and bean bags for awhile, we attempted a game of croquet. I've played before, but its been awhile...let's just say, the womenfolk didn't do nearly as well as the menfolk....



And this would be why!! Notice the color of the ball Andy is getting ready to whack a mile away?! Yep, it's mine....if he hadn't done that I am *sure* I would have won the game! Hahahaha...



Croquet is such an old-fashioned "picnicky" sport. All I can picture is ladies back in the early 1900s or so, in their long dresses and parasols, daintily tapping at the ball as they sip their cool glass of lemonade. The gentlemen would be standing by, assisting them as need be. That didn't exactly happen yesterday...although the men did try to give us "helpful hints". :)

As we attempted the game of croquet, this scene from the old Disney movie "Summer Magic" kept playing in my head. The scene starts about 1 minute into this clip, so you just gotta wait for it. :)

No comments: