Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Book I Never Finished


It all started in elementary school - writing stories. My one friend and I would draw pictures and write countless stories together always "comparing notes" so to speak. I remember having a conversation in the car one day that when we grew up we were going to be authors of children's stories. Our future was all set.

In fourth grade, I remember writing a play called "The Spirit of Christmas" where all my friends had parts. It was all planned out. We were going to perform in my friend's garage. We practiced our lines during recess, sitting in a circle on our snow-mound "chairs". I remember getting really frustrated because I had spent all that time writing that play, and no one was cooperating!! Needless to say, that play was never performed. :) Sadly, I must have thrown my copy of "The Spirit of Christmas" away. I would have loved to bring it out again and just laugh and laugh. :) All I can remember is that it had the "Little Women" twist, where there were four sisters who had to plan Christmas by themselves because their parents were away, and they were getting too caught up in the food preparation and the gift buying, forgetting the true meaning of Christmas.

Unfortunately, none of my stories that I wrote during my elementary years survived. :( I think the one day I opened my drawer, saw a pile of paper, and decided to get rid of it all so the drawer could close again! Little did I realize the sentimental value of those stories!

However, when I was going through my journals and notebooks in the recent past, I uncovered this one.



One of my favorite books to read in 3rd - 4th grade, was a book called "Spunky's Diary." It was a story of a cocker spaniel, but it was told from the dog's perspective. I always thought that was neat because don't you always wonder what an animal is thinking?! I must have read that book at least a dozen times.

Well, when I got this journal, I must have felt inspired to write a story inside it. Looking closely at the inside front cover, my first inspired title for a story was "Michelle and the Haunted House". Apparently, that story never got past the title because it was soon erased and replaced with the title "Princess". I was going to write a story about a golden retriever puppy. It seemed fitting seeing how that was on the front cover!

I got halfway through Chapter 3 before the "inspiration" must have left me, and I moved on to greater ambitions. I can't remember when exactly I started writing this story, but it was after we had gotten Christy, our golden retriever, so I had to be about 13 or 14 years old.

I'd like to share my story with you now, but I warn you of two things- first, even though it is going to really annoy me, I am going to leave all grammatical and spelling errors in the story to give it the "authentic, original touch" and secondly, just so you know, the story get's cut off rather abruptly at the end, right in the middle of a sentence. Why?! Who knows!! Young girls, who inspire to be writers, tend to change their minds rather quickly. :)



Princess
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dedication -

To my Godly parents
Also to my Golden Retriever Christy to all the fun and happiness we have had together

Chapter 1
My Family

Boy! was that sun bright. I yawned as I stretched getting all the kinks out. I slowly sat up. My eyes were still shut a little bit. As I squinted I was rudely shoved by a head. I collapsed in a mound of hay. "Go to sleep!" my mother commanded. I closed my eyes, but sleep wouldn't come. I layed there daydreaming. Four days. Four whole days since I came into the world. I loved those four days. I was still weak and a little blinded but I loved life. I squinted again. Leaning against me was my older brother Spunky. He was ok I guess, but I needed more time to get to know him. On the other side of me was my one and only sister Lucky. My mom said she was the runt of the pack because she was the smallest and the weakest, but she looked ok to me. Across our cage layed mischievous, fat Rolly. To me he was always pushing us aside and stealing Mom's milk. In my short life I knew I didn't like him. Then last but not least was me! My name was Princess. I was second oldest. Rolly always sulked because he said he could tell in just four days that I was Mom's favorite. I knew that wasn't true. Mom loved us all equal I could see that. Yes I was contented with my world, and when I was older I couldn't wait to explore it.

Chapter 2
My New Home

Over the next few weeks we grew bigger and bigger. Mom says that if we grow any bigger we need a new pen. As I grew my curiousity grew too. Mom soon nicknamed me "curious cutie." I asked her one day "Who are us?"
"We are dogs" she answered.
"What kind?" I asked.
"Golden Retrievers" she answered going over to the water dish and lapping up some water.
"Why such a long name?" I wondered. Then I asked, changing the subject,
"What are those big black and white things?"
"Cows" mom answered.
"We live on a farm, she continued, Since you are getting older you are noticing more things. Like for instance those humans over there"
I looked through our cage and saw some "humans" running around.
"Who are they, and what are they doing?" I asked.
"They are coming around to feed me. It is feeding time for everyone. For the cows, chickens, horses, dogs and sheep" she answered curling up in a corner. She called to us "feeding time!" As I sucked away I thought of all I had seen that day. I couldn't wait for tomorrow to see what new things it brought.
Next morning, as Mom was giving us a bath she explained "You are getting to the age where one day some humans are going to take you away from me"
As I listened spell bound she explained that we are all going to separated from each other and how we would probally never see each other again.
By the time she was done there was tears on all of our eyes. She kissed us all gentley and said, "Why don't we all take a nap."
I woke up suddenly hearing something I felt Mom stiffen beside me.
"What's wrong?" I asked suddenly getting scared. "It is the humans," Mom explained, "they have brought more humans."
"Sooo?" I asked wondering what was so wrong.
"That usually means they are going to look for puppies for sale" she said quietly.
I got scared, and I started crying. Mommy I don't want to leave you!" I couldn't hear her response for all of a sudden our cage door flew open and human hands reached for me, and my sleeping sister Lucky. "Mommy!" I cried.
"What's happening?" sleepy Lucky sobbed.
"It is ok girls you'll".....but we didn't hear the rest. I was snuggled in two human arms. I would never admitted it, but I was comfortable. I look up at the human. She was smiling at me, talking in human language. "Oh Mom, Dad I know I want this one!"
"Just lay them on the grass," our human owner suggested.
I was gently layed on the grass. My eyes widened as I looked around. In the five weeks I had been alive I had never been out of my cage. Lucky was still trembling with fear, but I was ready for fun. I ran as fast as my wobbly legs could take me. I didn't get far before the human girl picked me up.
"Oh Ma!" she cried, "this is my puppy I know it!" the older human woman scooped me up and did some strange things. She looked in my eyes, felt my legs, and while she did it she talked to me. Even though I didn't know what she was saying I liked her so I licked her on the cheek. She thought that was wonderful or something cause she held me tighter. I glanced over my shoulder at Lucky. She was still trembling and wasn't moving. I decided I had to talk to her. Squirming trying to free myself from the lady's arms, she finally put me down. I ran over to my sister.
"What's the matter?" I asked her.
"They're going to take you away from me and our family I know it" she said crying.
"Oh don't be so silly," I scolded.
"But remember what Mom said?" she continued. I didn't have time to answer, because the human girl picked me up, and handed me to my human owner. She put something around my neck, and set me down again. Whatever it was, boy! was it itchy. I gave it a scratch with my hind leg, but the itchiness wouldn't go away.
Soon the human family left much to my disappointment, and we were put back in our cage. Our brothers had lots of questions, but Mom was silent eying my "itchy thing." I asked her, "Mom what is this?" giving it another scratch.
"A collar," Mom replied quietly. "It means they have bought you"
Well, that dampened my evening. "Oh Mommy!" I cried then added, "No!" I'm not going!"
"You have no choice in the matter" she said.
Well, I thought inwardly, I hate those people taking me away like this. I will never never go anywhere with them. After all am I not the princess?
Next morning I awoke with the sound and smell of a human coming close. I grew scared, "Mom?" I asked nudging her.
"Goodbye" she said quietly then went back to sleep.
Goodbye? I wondered, but not for long. The cage door again flew open and I was picked up. No! I wanted to protest, but they wouldn't understand anyway.
I was taken to the human house and I stayed there 2 weeks. During those weeks I explored every nook and cranny. Soon I forgot all about Mom, Luck and the brothers. I just enjoyed all the attention and had fun. Until one day the door flew open, and I ran to meet the person. It was the human girl, and her family. I stopped in my tracks. Oh no! I cried, they are going to take me away. And I was right. The girl picked me up and carried me out. She cradled me in her arms and started singing to me. I grew so contented I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Chapter 3
Adjusting to My New Life

When I woke up I was curled up in the girl's arms. She smiled and petted me. 'We will be home soon Princess" she said. I yawned and went back to sleep, but not for long. Soon we stopped suddenly and I jumped. I stood up and looked out the car window. "Where was I?" I wondered. The girl picked me up and climbed out of the car. Before me was a big white-framed house. She put me down, and together we ran to the back yard. Boy was it big! I ran to my heart's content. Soon I became thirsty. The girl brought me a bowl of fresh water. I drank till my inside's bulged. She took me inside the house. She said to me, 'It is time for supper, so you stay in here." She put me in a big box with soft blankets. I yawned, not caring about anything so while the family ate I slept. I was awakened by someone picking me up. I opened my eyes and saw a strange human. He was a boy human not a girl human. I got scared but he cuddled me close and took me outside. He set me down, and I ran off. Soon I got tired of running so I plopped on the cool grass. The boy human called for someone and the girl came outside. I was so happy to see her. I ran to her and she cuddled me. After a while she sat me down, and ran off with her brother. They started throwing this round thing back and forth to each other. As curious as I was, I ran to play with them. They threw the round thing at me. It was to big for my mouth so I started batting it around with my paws. We played with it for awhile, and then when we were all exhausted we went inside. They told me to "go in box." I didn't understand what they meant. So they put me in my box. They said "Goodnight" and left. I thought the would return so I layed there. Another human man came in. He patted me on my head, and scratched my ears. Then he said the human word "Goodnight" again and went away. All the lights were turned off and it was very dark. Soon I realized that they weren't coming back, and I started crying. I missed my mom, and my siblings. I wanted them. I was so confused. "What am I going to do?" I wondered. Soon my cries turned to sharp, little barks. A light went on, and the girl came in. I was never so happy to see her. I stood up in my box and wagged my tail. She came over, and cuddled me in her arms. I sighed and went quickly to sleep for I was very tired. When I woke up it was dark again. I was alone again. Where did the girl go? I wondered. I started crying and this time the.....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

And that, folks, is how my story ended. I am not sure why I stopped in the middle of a sentence and never continued on. It remains a mystery and always will! I guess I just lost interest rather quickly! Maybe someday I will feel the inspiration to write another story (or continue this one...haha!).

So what do you think should happen next in the story? How should it continue? How should it end? Feel free to post your thoughts. ;)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

That's so cute, Becky! You should definitely finish it....your future kindergarten students would love it! :-)