Saturday, August 1, 2009

Happy 14th Birthday, Alayna!

So my little sister's birthday is today. Since I dug out embarrassing old photos for Andy's birthday, I simply had to do it for Alayna's birthday as well! :)

I LOVE this picture! Andy and I were staying at a friends' house when Mom was having Alayna, and Mrs. P did a great job capturing the exact moment when I found out I had a little sister!! You gotta love Andy's expression though. (I think he was hoping for a little brother!) However, home videos prove that he soon got over his "disappointment" and simply adored his baby sister...for awhile at least!

My first time holding Alayna at the hospital. She was sooo tiny!

11 years ago today, we brought our puppy, Christy, home with us. It just happened to be on Alayna's 3rd birthday, so she felt it was HER puppy. Oh my, this picture makes me want to cry. Alayna and I just got done watching the movie "Marley and Me" and I was crying buckets at the end. I had originally said I would NEVER watch that movie because I heard it was a sad dog movie, but curiosity eventually won out. We watched part of it last night, and the rest this morning. It was a sister "bonding moment" that's for sure as we sobbed together. What a sad, sad movie!

Even though we are 10 years apart in age, Alayna and I are the bestest buddies....most of the time! I still tend to be that annoying big sister, but hey...that's my job! Especially in recent years, we have had lots of fun together doing "big girl" things like shopping, getting a manicure, watching movies together, and just talking. The last time I went shopping I took Alayna along because I wanted her opinion on the clothes I was trying on. When your little sis becomes the one you turn to for clothing advice, you know she is getting older!

Since we got our hair styled similarly in the recent past, many people have started saying that we look sooo much alike. Personally, we don't see the resemblance, but its rather amusing to hear people always saying it! (at least it is for me...not sure how thrilled Alayna is about that though!) Our personalities are rather opposite, but I think we balance each other out rather well. She brings out my crazy side, and I do my best to bring out her serious, think-before-you-speak side. ;) I can't wait to see how our relationship will continue to deepen over the years. I am so thankful for my little sister and the LIFE she brings to our household. We often say...life would be so dull without Alayna around!!!

I love you, Alayna!!!

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Just a glimpse of my goofy lil' sis!

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

Aww, what a sweet post!

My little sister has always been my fashion-expert too. The other day I called her about something and started with, "I'm calling you because Gracie isn't old enough to give me the fashion advice that I need so..." It's only a matter of time and I will have my own built-in fashionista. It must be something about those third-borns. :)