Friday, May 29, 2009

Kindergarten Graduation


Last night was Kindergarten graduation. What a night! I was sooooo proud of my kiddos. They did such a great job. :) We did a short program to try to "impress" everyone with what can be learned in just 9 short months!

Every day in school, to help get us focused for what class or activity we were about to do, I had the children pretend to put on a certain "hat". If it was Phonics class, I would say, "Okay, its time to put on our Phonics hats!" So last night, I incorporated that into our program. I made posters for Calendar, Bible, Phonics, Numbers, Social Studies and Poems. I would switch the poster when it was time to put on another "hat".

Ever since we started practicing for Kindergarten graduation, I encouraged the kids to pray about graduation and that we would do our best. Whoever's turn it was to pray at lunch would say something to the effect, "And help us to do good at graduation and not be silly." As time got closer and closer, we started praying even more! Each morning we would all take turns praying about graduation. It is so neat to hear children pray! They are so sincere. :) Last night, before it was time to go upstairs and start our program, we spent a few more minutes in prayer - each one of us taking turns. It was a special moment!

And the Lord definitely answered our prayers!!


At the end of the program, the children were reciting some of their favorite poems. This was the last poem they recited....

When I started kindergarten
I couldn't have felt smaller,
But I've been growing, growing -
And not just growing taller!

I've learned to read and learned to write;
I've learned my numbers, too.
And there are many other things
That I have learned to do.

Kindergarten's over now
But I am not afraid.
Because I know I'm ready
To enter the first grade!

Here is a short video clip of them reciting some of the poem...

When they were done reciting the poem, I then said, "The Kindergartners have indeed worn many hats this year in Kindergarten, but now its time for one last hat.....It's time to put on our graduation hats and graduate to first grade!!!"

The last poster board then showed a bear with a graduation hat holding a sign that said, "Promoted to first grade!"

It was a happy moment for us all. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww, they're so cute Becky! you did a wonderful job teaching them. I love the switching "hats" idea, that was really creative.

so glad it turned out to be a special night for everyone!

congrats to each of them & to their fantastic teacher - Miss Follett! ;)