Monday, May 4, 2009

Insectarium


I jokingly said the other day that I was going to have to start charging tickets if people wanted to come into my classroom to see my insects! My room is infested with creepy, crawly, flying things...well, perhaps that is a slight exaggeration!

Now THIS is what I call a ladybug...

It's amazing how different they look now!



Their diet consists of raisins cut in half.

My kiddos are really having fun watching the ladybugs now that they look like the *real thing.* I remembered that I had a ladybug magnifying glass stored away, so today I brought it out for them to see the ladybugs better.

Our "insectarium" continues to grow! Today I got an order of live ants in the mail. I really had no intention of doing ants again this year because of the trouble I had last year with them, but Mr. Anger had the kit ready to use, so I figured I'd give it another try. This time its a cool-looking gel kit instead of just regular sand. The gel is actually the ants' food, water and nutrients as well so I don't have to do a thing - except get rid of the dead ants, which I had to do already (one was dead on arrival *sob*). A q-tip did the trick *shudder*.

Right now they are getting used to their new environment, and learning to adjust to a world of blue! The ants that you see going down the sides are not in tunnels, but they found a small section between the blue gel and the container to sneak through. The white stuff on top is actually the gel they have begun to move around, so I am hopeful tunnels will begin soon!

So yes, I am not joking when I say the Kindergarten classroom has turned into an Insectarium! What an exciting last month of school it shall be! (as long as they don't escape....)

No comments: