Tuesday, May 13, 2014

1st Grade is Coming...Ready or Not!


Last week I brought out this flower poster board, which I have discovered makes a great graduation countdown! As you can see, the flowers are quickly being removed - not too many days left to be Kindergartners! The girls and I have been working on our graduation program, and the excitement has been building about becoming 1st graders!


Once May started, we began to really practice what it is going to be like to be a 1st grader. We visit the Elementary Learning Center almost every day, and even do some 1st grade school work. One of the things that is different in 1st grade, is that students get the teacher's attention by raising an American flag. I got each of my girls an American flag, and they have been practicing raising their flag when they have a question.

See, even our buddy, Cheetah, is practicing being a 1st grader!! :-)


My girls love collecting nature. Every time they come in from recess, they are carting rocks, sticks, grass, flowers, feathers, leaves etc. Yesterday's "exploration" yielded a whole bunch of pine cones! They had them spread all over the table, but I condensed them into this nice little container. :-) One of my girls took it upon herself to label the container today. You know what she is trying to say, right?! It makes this teacher's heart glad to see her girls striving to spell out words in this challenging English language we have! The correct spellings will come in time...I am just proud that the attempt was made!


1 comment:

Donna said...

"Special Stuff," of course!! It's nice to have a place to keep their treasures! The girls have learned so much in just one year! I'm sure they'll do well in 1st grade!