Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sticker Wall


Today I tried something new in Sunday School. Every week the children sit around the table doing puzzles for at least 10 minutes before we start morning assembly. It has been that way since forever! Nothing wrong with puzzles, but it was time to put a twist on the morning routine in the 2's & 3's Sunday school class...

...So I invented the sticker wall!


I had a rather large collection of sticker "odds n ends" from both the SS classroom and my kindergarten classroom, so I gathered them all together and placed them on the table. Without much fanfare, I invited my kiddos to go put stickers on the sticker wall. Some were a little hesitant at first....Aren't we supposed to sit here and do puzzles now? But they soon warmed up to the idea!


I was amazed by how excited my kiddos were to place random stickers on a wall. It didn't seem that extraordinary to me, but to them it was something NEW and exciting!



Poor Miss Rachel hardly had any students in her 4's and 5's class because even the older kids wanted to have the opportunity to put stickers on the "sticker wall". A few of them asked me, "Why are we doing this??" and I told them that the blue paper needed some color and designs on it. :) That seemed to satisfy them! It was neat seeing the older ones assisting the younger ones, especially with those hard-to-peel-off & stubborn stickers!


There soon was a crowd around the "sticker wall" as more kids were dropped off for Sunday School.





As you can see, there is still plenty of room for more stickers! The children had to leave their sticker wall to start morning assembly, but I promised them we would do it again next week (if it hasn't been destroyed yet!) to see if we can fill it all up. It won't be something I do EVERY week with the kids, because, obviously, that could get boring fast! However, it's nice to throw in something new and exciting (to them at least!) every once in awhile to keep them occupied. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Great idea! This makes me smile knowing how much my almost-2-year-old loves stickers. Ssshhh! One of her birthday presents is going to be a sticker book - hopefully the reusable kind :)