Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Rewind Button


Today at morning recess, two little boys were not very happy with each other. What started off as a disagreement turned into a whole "You are LYING!!" scream-fest. Of course, I brought them over right away to the "counsel bench" to find out what had started the whole thing. When I figured out what the problem was, I told them I was going to press the "rewind button" and we would start all over again. I told them that their "rewind buttons" were on their knees, so I pressed down on their knees, and smiles soon replaced the frowns that I had feared were a permanent fixture on their faces! They hopped off the bench and started their game all over again with no more issues for the remainder of the time.

After recess, I told the one little boy who had apologized to me for screaming at his friend that although I had pressed their "rewind button", I couldn't undo the mean words that had been said. They needed to apologize to each other, and ask forgiveness for what had happened. Thankfully, what's nice about that age is that they can be the worst of enemies the one minute and the best of friends the next! :)

Don't you wish that there was such a thing as "rewind buttons" in life? How many times would I press that button throughout the day when a thoughtless word came out of my mouth, or wrong thought entered my mind? Although we can't undo a wrong that has been done, it is reassuring to know that we have a forgiving God who NEVER gives up on us and will remember our sins no more once we ask for forgiveness!!!

No comments: