Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Needed "Teacher Boost"


Today was one of those days. The kind when, for some reason, you just feel like you are not doing a great job as a teacher. Here we are in the last quarter of the school year already - have I accomplished anything with these girls???!!

It had been a crazy, whirlwind, hyperactive morning with these little ladies, and I didn't have much "willpower" left. Well, I was trying to get the papers out for numbers class, and of course, I finally got the girls sitting down and didn't want them to just be going wild in their seats while I gathered things together. To give them something to do, I told them to count by 5's. Now we had been working on it this whole past quarter, but usually I counted along with them. Today I had them try it for the first time by themselves, and they DID it!!!! Of course, I gave them the excited, thrilled, "mouth-open" reaction they wanted to see, so they kept counting by 5's over and over. :-)

I had to get a video of them during one of their many "rounds". It is amazing how hearing your students count by 5's gives you just enough of a "teacher boost" to get you through the rest of the afternoon! Hmmmm...perhaps they are learning something in Kindergarten?!!!!

No comments: