Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Happenings (so far!)


I can't believe the month of June is almost over! It feels like it has zoomed by, but when I think how this month started with Kindergarten graduation, it feels like the month has been sooo long!

Many people have been asking me how I am enjoying my summer, and I usually tell them that I am keeping busy, which is definitely true! Right now, my main job is working in my church's bookstore. I already was working in the accounting department, but now I am also doing the customer service end of things for my friend, Jackie, while she is on maternity leave. For the first week or so, I was rather stressed as it was a lot to take in, but now I am really enjoying it! There are always the mini "crises" to solve when you are trying to fill a customer's order, but all together it has been a great learning experience!

I am discovering a lot about the world of business between working in the bookstore, being a secretary for a general contractor, and doing some bookkeeping for a guy at church. The neat thing about all 3 of these jobs is that I didn't seek any of them out. They were all basically dropped in my lap, so to speak. Years ago if you would have asked me if I envisioned myself doing this type of work, I would have probably laughed and said, Nooooo! I had teaching on the brain for as long as I can remember. However, this next year, there are no Kindergarten students enrolling in our school, so I am just so thankful that the Lord has given me these other jobs! I still enjoy teaching, but I am finding that I enjoy secretarial/accounting work even more at times! It appeals to the organizer in me, I guess. :-) You aren't always allowed to be OCD when you are working with 5 year olds!

This month has also been a month FILLED with picnics and parties. Between high school graduation parties, Bible Institute parties, and a very special SURPRISE 16th birthday party for my sister, almost every weekend has been filled with food, fun, fellowship, and volleyball! :-)

I am looking forward to the month of July now. Alayna and I are busily making plans for our vacation to New York to visit our friend, Elizabeth! Of course, before all that happens we still have Andy's 21st birthday and July 4th to celebrate!!

Whoever said that summer is supposed to be a relaxing time??

No comments: