Friday, October 1, 2010

Home Videos


Andy has been busy these past few weeks converting our home videos to DVDs. As videos are quickly becoming "extinct," my Mom wanted to make sure our family memories were secure. As Andy has been converting the videos, we have been able to watch glimpses of the home movies throughout the day. Oh there has been lots of groans, moans, laughter and eye rolling as we have observed how we acted as youngsters!

~ I have watched as my Grandma, Dad, and I painted my parents' room as we made preparation for the new baby (Andy) to arrive.

~ I have watched as I jumped in the waves at the beach with my cousin, played miniature golf, and rode my bike along the boardwalk during our summer vacation at Ocean City, NJ. (We went there every summer with my grandparents for the longest time - so many fun memories!)

~ I have watched as I rode the train ride at the amusement park with my Grandma.

~ I have watched as Andy and I played in the huge mounds of snow during the blizzard of 96'.

~ I have watched as Alayna took her first faltering steps down our hallway.

~ Tonight I was watching clips of our favorite family vacation - Prince Edward Island! (I want to go back!!)

However, I think the one that stands out the most to me was watching Alayna's 3rd birthday party. We were sitting out on our back porch getting ready to sing "Happy Birthday", and there was my Pop-Pop sitting next to Alayna. When I heard his voice, tears immediately welled up in my eyes. It was my first time hearing his voice since he passed away, and I wasn't prepared for how it would make me feel. I have seen lots of pictures of him since he died, but his voice - how I have missed it!! His voice was the one I heard (quite often!!) during all my years growing up. He was always talking - telling stories, sharing memories - that was my Pop-Pop! Pictures are nice because they do capture moments, but home videos capture more than just moments. They capture the movements and sounds of the people you love. Now more than ever, I am SO thankful for all the home videos we have!

(Although I must say, I wish I go back in time and change some "unique" clothing styles and weird behavior on my part...but other than that.... ;-))

1 comment:

Kay said...

Aww that's cool Becky! We don't have any home movies, just pics. I bet it is great to hear and see things you remembered :)