Saturday, January 23, 2016

Meet Britina


A lot of exciting things have been happening in the Kindergarten classroom since our Christmas break. One of the biggest changes has been adding another student to our classroom. Meet Britina! She is a sweet little  girl who just brightens our days with her bubbly personality. She is learning English so she needed the Kindergarten foundation. It is amazing how quickly she is catching on to everything! Everyone has just welcomed her with open arms, and I am looking forward to seeing how far she progresses the rest of this school year - so far I am rather impressed :-)


Miss Follett and Britina :-)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey Becky,

Cute kiddo. :)

You teach 5 yr old kindergarten, right? I am just wondering what are the expectations of a five year old by the end of the year. I am homeschooling my four and five year olds and not really using one curriculum for everything, so I wanted to make sure they are learning what they're supposed to. Just curious as to your standards at the school there.

--Missy Vasel

Becky said...

Hi Missy!

Nice to hear from you :) I am sure you are doing a great job with your kiddos! I use Abeka which is a very thorough curriculum. My students end up reviewing a bunch in 1st grade using the ACE curriculum. Basically by the end of the school year they are reading short and long vowel words, along with the special sounds like sh, ch, th etc. They can count to 100 by 1s, 10s, 5's, and 2s. They learn to add up to 10 and are introduced to subtraction. They learn to tell time - o'clock, half hour, quarter hour. They learn the value of money... Again, all this is reviewed more in later grades so I don't stress if they don't quite get it all! The biggest goal for me is teaching them how to read fluently with comprehension. If you have any more questions feel free to email me at beckyfollett@gmail.com. :)